The podcast is here:
The Dishy Pharmacist and I usually avoid organised ‘tours’, preferring the unpredictable excitement of organising our own. But when Phil and Sue told us they had booked onto Explore’s ‘Spice Trails of Petra’ tour we were enticed by the itinerary (this link may soon expire) and booked onto it ourselves, together with a few other friends.
For us the journey started in Manchester at 8.30 and was long but largely uneventful:
- “You’ll get sandburn” said the man from Purple Parking.
- Sue and Phil running around the check-in at Heathrow (surprisingly otherwise deserted) having checked in but failed to acquire boarding passes.
- The Heathrow Shopping Experience. Actually a few of us got reading material for the trip – in Phil and Martin’s cases, the same book.
- The 5 hour journey with a rather grumpy Royal Jordanian crew suddenly lengthens by 2 hours as we put our watches forward.
- The Explore rep in Amman smoothly sorts out visas as 14 out of 15 clients gather after the flight (the 15th will join us tomorrow).
- A 45 minute bus ride past fast food joints such as ‘Biggly Wiggly’, as well as more familiar names leads to the Toledo Hotel, where we arrive at 1.15 am and take to our beds.
The photo is a view from room 505.